Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thank you, Pops.

Caricature of my Pops :)  c. 2008

One summer, before my fourth year at CalArts, my Dad spurred me to try drawing caricatures at the swap meet in my hometown, as a way to have a summer job instead of something more conventional like delivering pizzas. I was actually really skeptical at first, thinking that no one would want to buy drawings. People want to save money at the swap meet, not spend it on art! Plus, I'd never drawn in public like that and was really nervous how the public would react to my drawings of them. I gave it a shot, and my Dad helped me set up my booth, with my younger brother as my cashier lol. It was a huge success that first day, and I had a lot of fun. I wouldn't be running around L.A drawing caricatures today if it weren't for my Dad. He believed in me when I didn't. Every time someone asks me how I got started doing live caricatures as a means to make a living, I recount this story. Gracias Pops, and Happy Father's Day! :)

1 comment:

  1. It's not how perfect you can caricature from the first day, but where/how you take it. I'm glad your father's suggestion and your ounce of courage turned out to produce wily doodles that pays your bills.

    ReplyDelete